SAFETY PROCEDURES ARE REQUIRED BY STATE LAW
THE SAFETY OF CHILDREN, AS THEY ARE TRANSPORTED TO AND FROM SCHOOL AND SCHOOL-RELATED EVENTS, IS OUR HIGHEST PRIORITY.
At bus stops state law requires drivers to follow these procedures:
Modification of these procedures may be necessary for preschool, kindergarten, and special needs students.
- Check mirrors for traffic conditions and apply brakes well in advance to warn traffic from the rear.
- Actuate warning lights 300 feet prior to stop.
- Stop bus at designated stop.
- Set parking brake.
- Place the gear shift lever into neutral gear for both manual and automatic transmissions to prevent the bus from lunging forward.
- Open service door to actuate the warning lights and place hand over horn to warn students of potential hazards.
- Give students directions to go to their Designated Place of Safety and stay there until the bus leaves or signal students to board the bus from their Designated Place of Safety.
- Shift the gear lever into the starting gear, only after counting and confirming the students are in their Designated Place of Safety or safely in their seat.
- Look to identify students and potential hazards in the danger zone, counting and checking the mirrors, before closing the door and canceling the warning lights.
- Close the door when all areas are clear. Door must be closed before the bus moves.
- Release the parking brake after closing the door.
- Recheck traffic in the right and left side mirrors prior to pulling away.